I love using my slow cooker when I know it’s going to be a busy day. I often use it on Mondays because we have Boy Scouts in the evening. I’m bad about letting time getting away from me and getting a late start on cooking, and on Mondays since I have to leave by a certain time, I have to make sure I’m on top of things.
I ended up using it on Sunday this week. I often take my niece home to Florida since my sister works. That’s a 3 hour drive round trip. Since we usually take her in the late afternoon, I knew that if I didn’t plan ahead I would end up grabbing fast food. I had thawed a roast the night before. So after a quick Google and Pinterest search for ideas, I decided to cook it in the slow cooker with a can of beef soup and a can of diced tomatoes with chiles for tacos. A couple more seasonings, and I let it set all day.
I’m on a low carb way of eating, so my tortillas were low carb. I shredded some lettuce. I was originally going to saute some onions and peppers to go with them, but ended up getting home later than I planned so we just went with it as is.
Everybody agreed they turned out great! They were very filling and so amazingly enough we had leftovers. Andrew and I were able to snack on them for lunch for a couple of days. I think Andrew even snuck in a midnight trip to the refrigerator. Ha.
- 3-4 pound boneless beef chuck roast (or California roast)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Onion sliced or chopped
- 1 can beef consume soup
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 T Worcheshire
- Trim any fat on the sides off the roast and rinse with water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp of oil in a nonstick or cast iron skillet on medium to medium high heat for 3-4 minutes. Salt and pepper one side of roast and add to heated pan seasoned side down. Heat to sear for 2-4 minutes. Salt and pepper second side and flip. (Add more oil if needed.)
- Add onion to bottom of slow cooker and add roast on top. Pour beef consume soup over top. Evenly spread diced tomatoes on top. Sprinkle balsamic vinegar and worcheshire over tomatoes.
- Cook roast in slow cooker on low for 10 hours or high for 5 hours.